Oops. I knew it had been a long time since my last blog, but didn't realize it had been this long.
River #2 on Sept 4.
It was a beautiful day to start with, then it rained. And then poured!
Swimming in the rain is pretty fabulous, tho. The rain makes this cool tinkling noise as it hits the ocean.
Grandpa's brother's wife's nephew...on the ship for 2 weeks. It's a small world :)
(For those of you who would know, it's Denver and Jean Paulus' nephew Bruce.)
Visiting the Hope Center- this is Osman :)
Don't remember this lady's name, but she's quite hysterical.
This is Samuel, a translator in the Admissions Tent. On Sept 11, we visited the church he pastors. As you can see, he was very excited to see us arrive. :)
Papa Richie, a nurse in Admissions, gave the message.
After church was finished, they served lunch!
Looks delicious, huh? :) The sauce is made with cassava leaves and it is SPICY!!
We ate what we could, not wanting to be rude, then shared with a young guy who was more than happy to dig in. They grow up eating this sauce, so they love it. Watching them eat, you wouldn't know it was spicy at all. As for me, I can't hide it too well. :)
Samuel's son on the right.
These little sweeties had just eaten their meal and have orange grease all over their faces and hands! They're so precious. The children are my favorite part of every day. But everyone who knows me already knows that! :)
Isn't he adorable? :)
And THEN!!!!! Drum roll, please!
My very first nephew was born on Sept 15, 2011. I got to hear him cry over the phone when he was approximately an hour old. :) Too bad it wasn't in person, but I'm thrilled about him anyway. :)
Layne and her new baby brother! :) She's gonna be the perfect older sister.
Tomorrow he will already be a week old. Time flies. Before I know it, I'll be able to go home and see him for real.
I was able to observe surgery on Sept 16. I was very excited that I recognized all three patients from Admissions. It really made it exciting to see them in the OR after being part of the process getting them to that point.
That evening we had a Gateway Get-Together and decorated the delicious sugar cookies Amy made. Lovely Annika and Amy, waiting for others to arrive :)
Lunch with Amy (the ship radiologist and my current bunkmate) and Abdel on Saturday. She was our lovely guide through town, shopping assistant, etc. Wouldn't have been such a great experience without her.
Then Mama Beach on Sunday! I really do love this beach.
With Jenny and Hoe Jung
Sweet little Ibraham. I met him the other time I was at Mama Beach. He had told me he liked to sing. He is Muslim but goes to a Christian school, and therefore knows Christian songs. So we sang. :) We sang some more this time while swimming in the ocean. :) He and several other little boys were swimming away, but they didn't know they could float in the ocean, especially with the salt content as high as it is. So they were trying it out. Then we played Marco Polo, and pretended to be sharks. lol I was having loads of fun, but had to get to the shade before I burned any more.
Thank you to everyone who has been keeping in touch and sending news and such my way! I practically run to the office when I get an email that says "You have post!!" :) And thanks to you, it's pretty consistent.
Until next time...


Hey Lovely! I enjoyed reading your post. Im not sure if I knew that you were working on the Mercy Ships?! But either way, it was cool to see the pictures and read a little about what you are up to! Looks like an absolutely amazing opportunity. Love ya girl...and im def going to be following you on here!
ReplyDeleteLove your posts and pictures! You will definitely have to look into making your blog into a book! What a great way to share your adventures with others (especially those without computers).
ReplyDeleteLove you!