Disclaimer

This is not the official Mercy Ships site. Views and opinions expressed are not necessarily those of Mercy Ships.

Saturday, December 3, 2011

Day 181

Many changes have been happening recently.  Last Thursday we loaded things from Admissions into a container which will then be lifted onto the ship for transport to Togo. 
Friday we had a celebration for the Day Workers at which we bid them farewell.  The uncertainty of whether or not I will ever see some of them again was rather sad.  Our team in Admissions was a pretty tight-knit group, as we spent many hours each day in a small tent.  We learned so much from each other.  I learned small small Krio, that it is unacceptable to only smile rather than say "Good Morning" and ask "How did you sleep?", and I got in trouble if I tried to do anything on my own without asking Florence for help.  She says she learned from me how to grunt.  I didn't realize how often I just made noise rather than actually talking.   There's a grunt for "Oh, I understand," "No," "Yes," "Maybe," "I don't know," "I don't care," "Absolutely not," etc. 

Saturday many Mercy Shippers enjoyed the wedding of two crew members: Gregory and Becca.  It was the most fun I've ever had at a wedding.  It was West African style in that there was lots of hooting and hollering during the service, mainly during the exchange of vows, and the kiss.  While the couple and certain others were signing the register, some brave folks formed a circle in the front of the church and danced, waving their handkerchiefs in the air. 

Monday began with most of the remaining nurses scrubbing floors, walls, and ceilings of the hospital.  Everything is being packed down very strategically so as to keep things from breaking during the sail. 
Tuesday and Wednesday were also filled with cleaning and packing. 
 While some were inside working, others were working outside. The Orthopedic and Admissions Tents were washed, dismantled, and stowed away for next year.  The dock seems a bit empty now with them gone. 


On Thursday I moved to my temporary job of Crew Services-Housekeeping.  I'm finding out how grateful I am for the work Housekeeping does in keeping the ship clean.  It's no picnic. 
We also said our goodbyes to 26 crew members on Thursday.  Goodbyes aren't very easy, even when it is "see you later;"  I saw many tears on Thursday, not excluding myself.  We sent them off in true Mercy Ships fashion by lining up and waving until the vehicle(s) could no longer be seen.








Goodbye!!  The ship has been very quiet and empty the past few days...you are missed!

1 comment:

  1. Love the new look for your blog, Candace! Goodbyes are always hard on me, too...it must be in our genes.
    Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete